Friday, October 14, 2011

Life on Screen

Quote:

"When people talk to me about the digital divide, I think of it not being so much about who has access to what technology as who knows how to create and express themselves in this new language of the screen." (Lucas)

Response:

This is so true. Its not so much about who has access to the technology but who has the ability to use that technology. Students may have access to the newest and best technology but may not know how to use it. Or students may not have access to the best but can turn their ideas into something wonderful. Students need to feel comfortable in turning their ideas into something wonderful. We need to support students creative side and help them explore the ways technology can be useful for them.


Lucas, George. "Life on the Screen: Visual Literacy in Education." Edutopia. Interview by James Daly. Print. <http://www.edutopia.org/lucas-visual-literacy>.
http://www.edutopia.org/lucas-visual-literacy

Venable, Melissa. "New Literacies and Online Learning: Digital, Media, and Visual." On line college. (2007): n. page. Web. 14 Oct. 2011. .
http://www.onlinecollege.org/2011/05/27/new-literacies-and-online-learning-digital-media-and-visual/ 

6 comments:

  1. I agree with you and George Lucas. What is the point of having access to great technology if you do not understand it or know how to use it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. For those students who have everything and don't know how to use it we as teachers need to hep them understand how to use it, and those who do know but don't have it we need to be behind them 100% and tell them to express themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. There is so much technology out there that students and teachers don't know how to use. As teachers we need to learn how to use it to help our students learn it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, it is very important that we as educators understand how to use the technology so we can teach others to use the technology. That way it doesn't matter who has access to it, they will know how to use it when they have it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree, there are too many people that do not have the knowledge to use certain technology.Educators need to step up and teach their students how to use this technology.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you are recognizing the important role teachers need to play in order to prepares students for the 21st century!

    ReplyDelete