I was shocked to learn that Wikipedia is blocked from all computers in the Warren Hills Regional School District. I don't really understand why they wouldn't want their students using Wikipedia as a starting off point when doing research. The article also talks about how Wikipedia has helped "dumb down" the research process. I would think it would help students when doing research. Having access to this information on line is easier than trying to look up the information in an actual book. I never thought about using Wikipedia to get students involved in online discussions. You could also get different perspectives on one certain topic. It helps students to learn to think "out side the box." I just wonder if there would be a way to limit who could post on Wikipedia and limit what kind of information they are putting on the site?
http://www.facultyfocus.com/articles/effective-teaching-strategies/wikipedia-in-the-classroom-tips-for-effective-use/
Orlando, John. "Wikipedia in the Classroom: Tips for Effective Use." Faculty Focus. (2010): 1. Web. 2 Nov. 2011. <http://www.facultyfocus.com/articles/effective-teaching-strategies/wikipedia-in-the-classroom-tips-for-effective-use/>.
I was shocked as well that teachers are saying stuff like "say no to Wikipedia". Seems like they are not aware of the uses of an ever changing source such as this.
ReplyDelete