Tuesday, September 27, 2011
Art as the 4th R
As I read this I can remember when I was in high school and the teachers all emphasized the importance of writing well. We were not encouraged to use art as a way to communicate what we were thinking or to express ourselves. Three of my four brothers are very artistic as is my husband, yet they were never encouraged to take their talent to the next level. It makes me sad how the schools are trying to remove art from their curriculum. Art is such an import way for children to express themselves and they need to have the freedom and the support to be able to possibly make a career out of their talents.
Ohler, Jason. "Art Becomes the Next R." Educational Leadership Magazine. Oct 2000: 16-19. Web. 27 Sep. 2011. <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vCKbHYY-gzXtLXnLak8i_hoV7TPAOfxNIamNrkWW3Pc/edit>
I found an article that supports what Mr. Ohler is saying about Art becoming the fourth R. Art is so important in our school systems and it is an amazing way for students to be able to express themselves. Art also isn't just about drawing and painting, its about digital media and story telling.
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/2001/Alexandra_York/fourth1.php
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment