Friday, September 9, 2011

The Keypad Solution

QUOTE


"Naomi Baron, a professor of linguistics at American University and author of “Always On: Language in an Online and Mobile World,” shares Crystal’s view. She predicts that the number of “textisms” will stop growing as people continue to develop more proficiency in using handheld devices and as the devices continue to grow more sophisticated than simple telephone touch pads. She adds that part of the appeal of texting shorthands is their novelty, and that that will fade."


RESPONSE


I have mixed feelings about this.  I do feel that texting is a "new" form of the english language and we need to embrace it, but I also agree with Ms. Baron, to a point.  This new "form" of spelling and especially with the acronyms could possibley be just a "fad" and could continue to change.  As our technology continues to evolve and become more percise, the texting language could also be affected.  As the texting age gets older, the vocabulary will continue to change and evolve.  We need to stop fighting this change and just embrace it and continue to change with the times. 


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWhYj5K5-MA


Wood, C. (2010, January 25). Experts: texting helps kids to spell. Retrieved from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWhYj5K5-MA




Shea, AMMON. "The Keypad Solution."New York Times January 22, 2010. n. pag. Print. <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/24/magazine/24FOB-onlanguage-t.html>.

2 comments:

  1. Right. As far as we know, it could become trendy to spell words out rather than use abbreviations.
    It is unfortunate that some get so heated over change, but the change is definitely discussable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree that the "textisms" may change as technology changes. I think the young generation like using these acronyms. I don't feel it will be going anywhere anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete