QUOTE:
"On the contrary, cyber or online social networking may increase a person's social ease, the breadth and depth of off-line relationships, and their overall "social capital" – the resources accumulated through the relationships with people." (Owens, 2009)
RESPONSE:
I agree with Ms. Owens. Social networking is a great way to meet new people and also a way to reconnect with old friends. It is so much easier to communicate with someone online because you have time to get your thoughts in order and you can avoid confrontation. I have been able to reconnect with friends who have moved away and even out of the country. I can also use email and facebook to catch up with family overseas. Sometimes, when you need to get a message to a bunch of people, it is easier to just send an email or a note through facebook and then people can respond when they a have time. Children, especially use the social network when communicating with friends, or even just getting their opinion or voices heard. They don't have to worry so much about what their friends will think and they have more freedom to express themselves. I do feel, however, that we need to teach our students the dangers of social networking nad make sure they are informed when using these tools.
Owens, Laura. "Internet & Anti-Social Behavior Theory Unfounded." (2009): n. page. Web. 21 Oct. 2011. <http://laura-owens.suite101.com/internet--anti-social-behavior-theory-unfounded-a111897>.
http://laura-owens.suite101.com/internet--anti-social-behavior-theory-unfounded-a111897
"Does the Internet make kids anti-social? Does it make them stupid?." Millions of us, 10 Nov 2008. Web. 21 Oct. 2011. <http://millionsofus.com/blog/2008/11/10/does-the-internet-make-kids-anti-social-does-it-make-them-stupid/>.
http://millionsofus.com/blog/2008/11/10/does-the-internet-make-kids-anti-social-does-it-make-them-stupid/
I agree with you for the most part. I do feel that it makes life a lot easier to drop an email to someone or reconnect through facebook with old friends. However, I feel that it is easy to misunderstand people using the internet. For example, if you were to use sarcasm on the internet you don't get the tone of voice to go with it so it may offend some people instead of making them laugh. I still feel like it is a great tool to use and have, I just think there needs to be a happy balance to face to face communication to online communication. Not just one or the other.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your post. Communication through social media is great but there is a lot of people and kids using it and we need to educate our children about the dangers of it.
ReplyDeleteTeaching students the rights and wrongs of social networking is the right idea. For younger children social networking can be dangerous. I think that social networking is a great tool to build stronger relationships with friends that they have already meet.
ReplyDelete