QUOTE:
"Even though students are spending more and more time on the Internet and teachers increasingly expect their students to do assignments online, digital media literacy skills are vastly underrepresented in the curriculum for all but the most advanced students (as, indeed, are offline critical-thinking and reading-comprehension skills)." (David, Jane L)
RESPONSE:
After I read this quote I was shocked but after I gave it some thought, I found it to be surprisingly accurate. Even though students are on the internet the majority of their spare time is spent looking for friends or facebook and twitter. The average middle school and high school student doesn't really pay much attention to current affairs when they are searching the web. When a teacher assigns a research paper, the students usually just research their given topic. We as teachers need to help guide the students to see that there are other information outlets. When students use google, for example, they usually skim the first two or three available options and then they only skim the article. We need to encourage kids to try and find other information outlets that give them more details.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVzLRher5Cw
Pilgram, . " Teaching Media Literacy in the Digital Age." Youtube. N.p., 30 Oct 2008. Web. 7 Oct 2011. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVzLRher5Cw>.
David, Jane. "Teaching Media Literacy." Education Leadership. 66.6 (2009): 84-86. Web. 7 Oct. 2011. <www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/mar09/vol66/num06/Teaching-Media-Literacy.asp&xgt;
I agree. Teachers need to teach students what to look for when they're reading something online but also explain to them that the computer isn't the only resource out there.
ReplyDeleteGood connections between media literacy and teaching traditional literacy skills in school!
ReplyDeleteI agree, I think that we as future teachers need to find ways that are going to keep the kids wanting to learn. And also we need to be able to show them that there are other ways to learn and other outlets for learning.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great insight! I'm glad to see that someone else agrees with me. Teachers need to show children that there are other use for the internet.
ReplyDelete