Friday, October 28, 2011

Words Failed Me Then Saved Me

   I am in Intro to Special Education class with Dr. Moorose and he has taught us the differences between  the learning disabilities.  I was not aware how hard it is for dyslexic children to not only learn to read but to be able to process what they read.  I really never thought about how it would affect their being able to tell their left from right.  I just thought dyslexic children couldn't tell the difference between B and D and that is why they have so much trouble learning to read.  I didn't know it affected other areas of learning.  I also didn't realize assistive technology was available to students with learning disabilities.  This tool would be very useful when teaching children to read.  They could listen to a tape while looking at the words and be able to associate those sounds with the worlds.  There are also numerous computer programs that help children with learning disabilities.  Spell checker is a tool almost everyone uses now and it helps kids and adults learn to read.  I found a website that will link you to other materials to help assist learning disabled children.  This website gives links to videos, worksheets and advice on how to teach these children.  I found it to be very useful and plan on bookmarking it to use in my future classroom.

http://www.familyvillage.wisc.edu/education/at.html

1 comment:

  1. Listening to a tape or CD while reading along with it is probably extremely helpful to those who need that kind of assistance. Thanks for the idea. :)

    ReplyDelete