Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Social-networking ban for sex offenders

This article has some very good points.  There is a new law prohibiting registered sex offenders from joining social-networking web sites.  They are also not allowed to leave messages on profile web pages that are visible to users.  This law is supposed to protect minors from people who troll these sites looking for victims to abuse.  The article states that this might not be the best idea.  The experts mentioned say that not very many of the minors hurt or abducted are caused by sex offenders who found them on the internet.  This article reminds people that registered sex offenders have rights too.  The article explains that there are different types of registered sex offenders and that some cases are not as bad as others.  The author is also worried that this law may give minors and parents a sense of false security.  I have a hard time completely agreeing with this article.  I try to put myself in the shoes of both sides, and while I agree there are many different types of sex offenders, I would not want someone convicted of hurting a child to be able to look at my child's profile on Facebook.  I don't think all sex offenders should be labeled the same, there are cases of a 17 year old boy having sex with his 16 year old girlfriend and then there are cases of 50 year old men forcing young boys to have sex with them.  If they are going to pass laws about registered sex offenders and social-networking web sites, then there needs to be a gray area because this is not a black/white situation.  No two cases are the same so no two convicted people should be treated the same or labeled the same.  I also think we do need to not only focus on teaching our children internet safety where sex offenders are concerned but also where bullying,harassment and impersonation are concerned.  Parents and teachers need to be aware of what their students are doing on the internet and be sure to enforce internet safety.

3 comments:

  1. This is a very thoughtful response. I agree that the definition of sex offender needs to be changed so we can separate sexual predators from those who are making unwise personal decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. What the term "sex offender" definition needs to change depending on if the person is a predator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We should teach our children and students how to be safe on the internet, but lets not over-do it!

    ReplyDelete