Thursday, September 15, 2011

Digital Story Telling

Quote
As with any art form, digital storytelling continues to evolve to accommodate new technologies, purposes and creative visions.  The important question for educators to ask is, "What does digital story telling offer education?

 Response
I feel digital storytelling can offer lots of possibilities to education.  It gives the student the freedom to express themselves any way they want.  It is hard to express yourself with just a pen and paper, and digital storytelling gives them the opportunity to be creative beyond just with their words.  I would also much rather watch a short movie than read a bunch of term papers.  Digital storytelling also gives the reader a sense of who the creator really is and it offers a glimpse of the type of person they could become.


 http://www.jasonohler.com/pdfs/digitalStorytellingArticle1-2006.pdf
Ohler, J(2005). Digital storytelling. Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development, 44-47. Retrieved from http://www.jasonohler.com/pdfs/digitalStorytellingArticle1-2006.pdf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP6CeGLPuOY
Digital Storytelling in Plaine English. Dir. Unknown. Perf. Cox, Amy, Morgan Watson, Lindsey Quinlisk, and Young Kim. You tube, 2009. Film. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP6CeGLPuOY>

4 comments:

  1. I agree. Digital storytelling at first is kind of hard to get a hang of. But after playing with it, it is an awesome tool! Normally kids think of history or science as boring but this allows them to have some fun during class, and making something that will really help them remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Digital stories get children involved and able to use creativity in their school work. Jessica I see how it is hard for students to express them self with pen and paper. In participating in the dial story project that we are doing in class, I find myself viewing this project more than, proof reading a paper for a teacher. I defiantly feel that digital stories are a great way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you! Digital storytelling definitely is a fun way to be creative. We are lucky to have technology like this that is not that expensive for the average 6th grader anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica,
    I agree with you, I would rather watch a short story to see that the kids are comprehending rather than read a ton of term papers. I think that digital storytelling is going to be something that can be used with almost any grade. It might be harder for younger kids.... kindergarten and up to maybe third grade to use, but with the help of the teacher it could be a neat classroom project.

    ReplyDelete