QUOTE:
"Together, these colors suggest
patriotism to American readers, an
association that is reinforced by the
U.S. flag at his right hand and on his
lapel." (Abiloc, Debbie 2000)
Response:
In my quote the author talks about how the colors you wear can depict a certain view. Blue and Red are considered "power colors" and whoever wears these colors almost demands respect and shows authority. This is why the president is always shown to be wearing either a red or blue tie with his suit, especially when he is giving a televised report. Wearing these colors also makes a person feel more confident. I know when I have to give a presentation for school, I try to dress this way and incorporate these colors in my wardrobe. My parents, who were business owners, always stressed the importance of looking good and dressing the part, but I didn't realize other figure heads shared the same attitude. I will be sure to notice what people are wearing, especially the people on news shows.
A b i l o c , Debbie. "A Seven Power Lenseon 21st Century Literacy." Multi Media Schools. (2002): 30-35. Print. </docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B6DFAmexYq7vMTFmZjZhNWItZWY5Ni00NzdhLWIxYzItMmE4NmI0MGI5NzJl&hl=en_US>
http://www.touro.edu/tabs/journal02/tabs5c.pdf
In this article I found, it explains how color affects marketing. It is very interesting to see how and why the marketing geniuses use the colors they do.
Leichtling, Channa. "How Color Affects Marketing." Tabs Journal. (2000): 23-31. Print. <http://www.touro.edu/tabs/journal02/tabs5c.pdf>.
Different colors can mean so many different things to different people... how do you keep up? Who writes the book on what means what?
ReplyDeleteI never thought of colors that way. This is a very good point! From now on I will be sure to look at exactly what people are wearing and the colors they are wearing!
ReplyDeleteI did not know that red and blue were known as "power colors". I have learned that if you do wear these colors you will appear to be more confident. I feel like if you look presentable and nice you will feel better about yourself and how your present your information. If someone appears to have bad hygiene and their hair is all messed up I feel like I would feel unmotivated and not confident. This was a very nice point!
ReplyDeleteI've been looking for a article like the one you found Jessica! I'll be sharing the color "meanings" in class next week as we create magazine covers!
ReplyDeleteI've only heard the "power color" meanings with corporations such as Exxon (i.e. red). It is interesting, too, that we can make connections with the color those with authority wear. Now that you mention it, our president does and they always have worn red ties so very often... interesting!
ReplyDeleteI did not realize that colors could have such powerful meanings. I will try to look for the red and blue ties when I watch the president speak.
ReplyDeleteThis is very good. I knew that colors can mean alot but it is also interesting to know how to use these colors on how to dress. Very Good!!
ReplyDelete